Creation of National Restoration
January 24, 2001
I. The El-Berde Meeting of four Somali political
organizations and Puntland State of Somalia has
decided to establish the National Restoration Council
(NRC).The NRC, which is currently composed of RRA,
SPM, SNF, SSNM/BIREM and the State of Puntland, shall
strive through dialogue to achieve an all-encompassing
and representative national institution that brings
together all Somali entities and political movements.
II. The objectives of the NRC are:
1. To restore trust and mutual confidence among Somali
communities throughout Somalia.
2. To initiate afresh the peace and reconciliation
process on a realistic, representative and genuine
3. To restore and safeguard national unity and the
territorial integrity of Somalia.
4. To act as custodian of national sovereignty and to
represent Somalia in international forum.
5. To promote the Building-blocks approach for the
establishment of self-governing regional states and to
re-affirm the principle of federal system of
government in Somalia.
6. To confront all destabilization and renewed
conflicts waged by the un-holy alliance of the Arta
Faction and extremist groups.
III. The NRC will convene a general conference in
Baydoa within forty-five days and invites all
political movements to participate in the conference.
The conference is to tackle the implementation of the
objectives outlined in paragraph II above.
IV. The Meeting appeals to the international
community, particularly the UN Secretary-General and
Arab states to refrain from extending diplomatic
recognition and financial assistance to the
unrepresentative Arta Faction as such support would
lead to renewed conflicts in the country.
1. Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed _______________ Puntland State of
2. Sheikh Aden Mohamed Nur_____________ RRA
3. Omar Haji Mohamed (Masale)___________ SNF
4. Abdirizak Issak Bihi___________________ SNF
5. Mohamud Sayed Aden ________________ SNF
6. Aden Abdullahi Nur__________________ SPM
7. Abdullahi Sheikh Ismail_______________ SSNM/BIREM